Passion Points: Giving Back
Indagare contributor Elena Bowes recently traveled to Rwanda for a journey hosted by Women for Women International. Here is her dispatch from a trip that deeply effected—and changed—her.
I wasn’t sure if the women farmers were giggling at my outfit or technique as they followed me through the tall, thick rows of corn stalks in the green Rwandan countryside. Outfitted with Cath Kidston gardening gloves, my daughter’s hiking boots and a floppy straw hat, I was most definitely a newbie to this environment. After weeding with a long unwieldy machete in the baking African sun for half an hour, I was ready to cry uncle and ask how to say “tea break” in Kinyarwanda. Farming is hard. In fact, life is hard in Rwanda for many women who struggle to support their families through a variety of low-paying jobs like farming or making jewelry or baskets. Earning a dollar a day is an achievement for the women we met.
During this five-day trip, I was traveling with a group of nearly twenty who flew to Rwanda from as...
Search By Keyword
This summer mecca combines city sophistication with stunning beaches and...
An outrageous shape-shifter, Myanmar is finally emerging from its troubled...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.