Passion Points: Green/Eco
Not too long ago, eco lodges used to be located in ultra-remote jungle settings, requiring a certain amount of intrepidness from their guests. Much as the concept of green cuisine has evolved in recent years, becoming increasingly hip, so have green hotels. The growth of green projects is enjoying a veritable explosion thanks to more sophisticated technologies and more innovative hoteliers and development companies. Not all the hotels, lodges and resorts in this new wave are created equal, however, and for the thoughtful traveler finding and supporting a place that’s actually as green as it claims, can be a headache.
Generally, some good questions to ask to ascertain if a property is eco-sensitive is whether the property belongs to one of the major, acknowledged certification programs; what it does to reduce carbon and energy use; if and how water is conserved; and whether it composts. “It’s also important to know how the hotel contributes to the local community,” says Samantha Denny, of Jackson Hole’s new Terra hotel, a LEED-certified property that has green DNA.
For this week’s Indagare Bests, we have selected five of our favorite eco-conscious hotels, from a diver’s paradise island in Indonesia to a special new tented camp in Tanzania. Pioneering, exemplary and backed by passionate conservationists, these properties showcase that you don’t have to make do with a hammock to stay in an environmentally sensitive setting. Our picks:
- Selous Project, Tanzania
- Misool Eco Resort, Indonesia
- Shompole, Kenya
- Estancia Rincon , Argentina
- Terra, Jackson Hole
In Tanzania, the new Selous Project may be the ultimate experience for modern Indiana Jones explorers and those who want to do conservation patrols on holiday. In Kenya, home to numerous successful eco lodges, we love Shompole, a small property with just eight rooms beautifully designed so that indoor and outdoor merge beneath pale thatch roofing. Filmmaker and activist Céline Cousteau raves about Misool Eco Resort, in a far-flung island setting in Indonesia, whose owners worked tirelessly to positively impact the local communities. Another inspiring project is Estancia Rincon in Argentina, which is owned by the founder of North Face and his wife, a former CEO of Patagonia. Closer to home but with as deep a belief in eco tourism is Terra, Jackson Hole’s newest boutique property, which has a green philosophy that extends to the tiniest details, including room amenities and design touches. Hopefully, these special properties will fuel a movement that takes us to a tipping point when what define as green now will become the norm. Happy Earth Day!
Read a Q&A with Denny about eco-friendly hotels.
Read about other eco retreats on Indagare, including Chaa Creek, in Belize; Campi y Kanzi and Il Ngwesi Lodge, in Kenya; Lapa Rios, in Costa Rica; Tiamo Resorts, in the Bahamas; Phinda Game Reserve, in South Africa; Fregate Island, in the Seychelle; Kangaroo Island and Longitude 131 Voyages, in Australia; Hotelito Desconocido, in Mexico; Inkaterra Reserve, in the Amazon; Danzante Eco Lodge, in Baha; Siwa, in Egypt; Soneva Fushi, in the Maldives; and the Jean-Michel Cousteau Fiji Islands Resort.
Read an interview with eco-architect Hitesh Mehta.
Read about green cuisine served in some of our favorite restaurants around the world.
Read a Q&A with environmental activist and filmmaker Celine Cousteau.
For advice on traveling to any of these special properties or to learn about special offers and rates for our members, contact our booking department by sending an inquiry.
Search By Keyword
Few places on earth are as dramatic in appearance as...
Imagine a boater’s paradise of small islands with deserted beaches...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.