Passion Points: Escape
At the end of 2010, we quizzed members, contributors and staff about their favorite discoveries this year. Read more Best-of-2010 Interviews.
By Cristina Ferraro Cenci, co-owner of fashion line Josephine & Laurentina
What was your favorite trip this year and why?
My favorite trip this year was an unexpected one. It was supposed to be a short, three-day trip to the American South for my fashion label Josephine & Laurentina. My business partner, Leslie Johnson, and I were going to fly to Memphis; then driving to Nashville; then Oxford, Mississippi; and finally on to Jackson, Mississippi. Thanks to the fact that I was traveling with Lelise, who was born and raised in Mississippi, this quick trip turned out to be an incredibly touching learning experience.
The cities I visited were extremely welcoming. The pace was different and you felt it; each city had its own rhythm, much of it in sync with its music, which is a big thing in the South. The drive through these states was spectacular; the nature superb and incredibly versatile. Sunny open plains are suddenly interrupted by wild and rugged landscapes. Oxford was probably the biggest surprise. It’s a charmer of a small city with a long tradition and vibrant culture. I loved the old bookstore that overlooks the city square, owned by a gentleman who was once the mayor and who still invites famous writers from all over the world (including, I found out, from my home country, Italy).
And the food! Everything we sampled was excellent, from the unbeatable pimento cheese sandwich from Picnick, in Nashville, to the very Southern shrimp and grits at the casually elegant City Grocery, in Oxford’s main square. Stories of alligators and crocodiles living in people’s backyards kept me fully entertained along the way, as did the fun country music playing on seemingly every radio station. I had heard that once you discover the South, it takes hold of you. Since I was a little kid, I’d thought that no place would capture my imagination as much as Italy, but this recent road trip proved to me yet again what a powerful thing it is to have one’s concept of the world extended.”
Search By Keyword
With views of the Swiss Alps and Lake Geneva, Lausanne...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.