Passion Points: Escape
The imagination of the Western world has long been captivated by Indian style—the country’s craftsmanship and colors are vivid and timeless. Legendary Vogue editor Diana Vreeland once famously quipped that pink is India’s navy blue; more recently fashion designer Matthew Williamson called the place “a creative assault on the sense.”
Lavish details, bold patterns and exquisite craftsmanship can be seen everywhere, from the gold-threaded edge of a sari to the hand-painted ceiling of a maharaja’s palace; some of the latter have been turned into the country’s most spectacular hotels.
Plotting out an itinerary to this—the world’s seventh-largest country—can be challenging. But those focused on style have to include time in Delhi, the capital; in colorful Jaipur and lakeside Udaipur, in Rajasthan; and in buzzing, massive Mumbai.
India Sweepstakes: Win a six-night trip to India, including airfare, co-sponsored by Qatar Airways, Greaves Travel and Oberoi Hotels & Resorts. Read more about the prize and enter: India Sweepstakes.
To get inspired and start dreaming of India—and the wares to bring back—read these articles:
Search By Keyword
Ecuador's capital of Quito, home to colonial architecture and grand...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.