Passion Points: Escape
Set amid six lushly landscaped acres, the Saxon was originally designed in 1990 as the home of South African businessman Douw Steyn and was famously Mandela’s hideaway while he edited his renowned autobiography Long Walk to Freedom. Several years later Steyn decided to re-purpose the grand residence into a boutique hotel and conference center, once again enlisting architects Neil Powell Neil and calling in interior designer Stephen Falcke to retain the home’s handsome modern aesthetic and to build upon the extensive collection of African art and crafts. Augmenting the 24 guest suites are a 900-square meter pool that reflects the hotel’s entire façade, lily and koi ponds, swimming pool, meeting facilities, bar, lounge, restaurant, excellent gym, and full service spa and salon. (You can even have your hair done in corn rows. With extensions!)
The standard suites are open-plan with enormous four-poster beds, ample seating areas, a small dining table, fancy sound system, a desk and work area with multi-national electrical outlets and Internet access. The baths are also open, with big, deep tubs, separate walk-in showers, and vanities and sinks on either side of a closet. The loos, thankfully, are enclosed. The spread at breakfast is worth writing home about (and here I am), and the dinner I had there was excellent. We stayed there on our first night before going out on safari the following day. Would that I could have scrubbed-up there afterwards as well. Next time for sure.
Search By Keyword
Aspen’s dry climate, ample sunshine and four mountains provide a...
The so-called "gateway of the Americas" is a vibrant, rapidly...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.