Passion Points: Escape
Indagare Insider Pamela Murdock gives us a summer dispatch from one of the Caribbean’s most romantic islands, Mustique.
One of the Caribbean’s great secrets is Mustique in the summer. Though I love being there during “the season,” summer is even more relaxed and just as fun. But whenever I go, my journey starts the minute I consider which house to rent, as the island features such a diversity of architectural styles and locations. We constantly stay in different houses to enjoy new views, décor and moods.
Every year there’s something new, and this summer was no exception. The Mustique Company inaugurated its first ever drive-in movie theater, with the film The Commitments. People arrived with picnic suppers or bought hot dogs from the food tent. In true Mustique fashion, the entire evening was charming and very entertaining. Adding to the amusement was the Activities Director’s dog, Stump, who howled along with several songs. The rest of the summer’s line-up includes The Godfather, Blues Brothers, Identity, Grease and The Rocky Horror Picture Show (along with a party, for which guests have been told “costumes are highly recommended”).
In addition to sailing, tennis, riding and soccer camps, The Mustique Company has whipped up quite a few new activities perfect for entertaining children and some houseguests. Our household was content with lounging by the pool or beach but for those who need a bit more action, instructors for dance, yoga, paddleboard, kite surfing and several types of exercise programs are available. There are also special barbeques and cocktail parties, children’s movies and theme parties like a treasure hunt, which takes place all around the island, and Full Moon Lagoon Parties. Another addition is that Firefly, a guesthouse, will now deliver pizzas to your house, ideal for a quiet movie night at home.
I was also delighted to find special Mustique products like shampoo and conditioner, body wash, and lotion in our bathrooms. They smell lovely and are terrific and can even be purchased online as part of Niven Morgan’s Mustique 1958 collection (1958 refers to the year Colin Tennant bought the island). (www.nivenmorgan.com)
Search By Keyword
This incredibly diverse, enormous country at the tip of the...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.