Passion Points: Escape
INDAGARE’S GUIDE TO LAST-MINUTE HOLIDAY AVAILABILITY 2008
One of the benefits of Indagare membership is that we will scout out the best places with rooms left during the holidays and hold options for you. Please note these may go quickly and some have minimum-day requirements. To secure preferential rates and special amenities, contact our Bookings Service at 212-988-2611.
We’ve saved some of the best properties by member level. Click on the Indagare Plus sign for details.
CARIBBEAN & BAHAMAS
Little Dix Bay, on Virgin Gorda, a Rosewood resort, is fantastic for families, with calm waters and a low-key atmosphere. There’s a kids club and many of the recently renovated rooms and suites have connecting options. One of our editors was just there. Read her review.
Peter Island Resort, set on its own 1,800-acre private island, combines high luxury with Caribbean charm.
The Ritz-Carlton in the Cayman Islands offers kayaking and snorkeling, a spa and a golf course. www.ritzcarlton.com.
On Anguilla, there is a stunning 14,000-square-foot villa with seven bedrooms.
Located on Grace Bay in the Turks & Caicos, the Somerset is easy to reach and wonderful for families.
The Four Seasons Great Exuma (www.fourseasons.com/greatexuma) offers a Greg Norman-designed golf course and a spa with outdoor treatment cabanas. Also, read a member’s posting in the Indagare classifieds about a charming home on Harbour Island.
Kamalame Cay (www.kamalame.com), located on a private ninety-five-acre island in the Bahamas, makes for a low-key getaway with private bungalows and cottages and lots of water activities.
Tides Riviera Maya is a great place for young couples, friends traveling together and singles. Guests love the romantic jungle palapas and excellent food, and the small Mayan-themed spa offers massages and facials with locally grown ingredients.
Exclusive Costa Careyes still has space in both the hotel and the larger villas.
We also have access to gorgeous, fully staffed homes in Punta Mita and nearby Sayulita.
For a super-chic Mexican hideaway, there’s the Tides Zihuatanejo, situated along Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo’s Playa La Ropa beach. Individually-decorated accommodations are scattered about the property in terracotta-tiled villas. (www.tideszihuatanejo.com)
With its gorgeous gardens, the fairy tale-like Hotel Bel-Air is the perfect enclave for a romantic Los Angeles getaway.
An Auberge resort, Calistoga Ranch, in Napa Valley wine country, offers fantastic hiking trails, spa treatments and plenty of privacy.
Chances are you won’t get one cloudy day in Palm Springs, the SoCal city with over 360 days of sunshine a year. The Viceroy Palm Springs (www.viceroypalmsprings.com) recalls the glamour of the Rat Pack era with its Regency-style villas and features a renowned spa center.
Montage, the Laguna Beach resort renowned for its progressive spa program, is perfect for those who want some holiday pampering.
Another spa option: Ojai Valley Inn & Spa, a historic hideaway tucked into the Topa Topa Mountains. The signature spa treatment is the Kuyam, which combines a mud treatment with inhalation and a guided meditation.
San Ysidro Ranch, in Santa Barbara, is a magical hideaway. In the words of our reviewer, its grounds offer “sweeping views from the Santa Ynez foothills to the Pacific Ocean and are full of birdsong and the scents of orange blossoms, rosemary, and eucalyptus.”
The red rocks of Boynton Canyon make a stunning backdrop for Enchantment Resort. Situated on seventy acres in Sedona, the resort is sprinkled with adobe casitas. www.enchantmentresort.com
The Breakers in Palm Beach has a few rooms available.
A short drive from the Fort Lauderdale airport, the Acqualina Resort has a wide beach, an in-house ESPA and an active kid’s club (plus all-important babysitting service). www.acqualinaresort.com
On Captiva Island, off the Gulf Coast, the South Seas Island Resort is low-key and family friendly.
Located in an Art Deco building on Ocean Drive, Tides South Beach epitomizes Miami cool. Hip designer Kelly Wearstler redid the interiors in 2007, upping the property’s overall glam factor. (www.tidessouthbeach.com).
The recently renovated Sea Island resort is a knock-out, with a world-class spa, multiple championship golf courses, and plenty of family activities, like fishing and horseback riding on the beach. www.seaisland.com. Read about Sea Island on our Discussion Boards.
Set on 40 beautifully landscaped acres overlooking Wailea Beach, the Grand Wailea Resort in Maui is perfect for a family escape. A five-night minimum stay is required. www.grandwailea.com
The Ritz-Carlton in Kapalua has a tri-level swimming pool and a new pool for children. www.ritzcarlton.com
Set on a peninsula that juts into the Pacific, the Four Seasons Costa Rica offers a lovely location, tranquil beaches and access to fantastic wildlife.
Search By Keyword
Its own continent but most often reached from South America....
From super-future cities to remote countryside, China offers an incredible...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.