Passion Points: Escape
Summer has officially started, but this year, travelers have the luxury of planning last-minute and still getting great deals. While visiting Europe and far-flung destinations continues to cast a spell, many members have discovered that some of the best-loved summer spots are located within our borders, and in some cases, in their own backyards. In times of serious change and upheaval, it can be especially wonderful to return to the classics, whether you’re visiting for the first or tenth time. Member Liz Lange wrote after taking her family on an adventure in Wyoming and Montana: “My sister and I realized that we had not seen many of the great sights in the United States, so we built a trip around places out West…now we’re even considering making this an annual tradition.”
The only trick to seeing iconic places, especially if you’re traveling there for the first time, is to map out a journey that makes you feel like a plugged-in local. That’s where our in-depth destination reports and advisory department can help. The reports for each of our favorite classic U.S. summer destinations— Martha’s Vineyard, Vermont, Santa Barbara, Jackson Hole, Aspen —are loaded with insider tips and recommendations. For advice or to learn about special trips or preferred rates at hotels in each destination, contact our booking department by calling 212-988-2611 or by sending an inquiry.
Here are Five Iconic U.S. Summer Places, plus special discoveries in each.
- Martha’s Vineyard, including the best place for viewing the sunset while nibbling on homemade crab cakes
- Jackson Hole, including the area’s best nature guide who makes Grand Teton National Park come alive for kids
Coming in our next blast: Five Last-minute Summer Escapes in Europe
Search By Keyword
An insider's guide to Connecticut's most scenic county.
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.