Passion Points: Escape
Opened as an ultimate private island retreat, Lupita Island is located in western Tanzania on Lake Tanganyika, the longest and second-deepest lake in the world. The island measures 130 unspoiled acres but its developers chose to keep the human foot-print small, building a resort that has just eleven thatched-roof villas and two larger family cottages, all of which offer breathtaking views of the massive lake and its many islands.
Lupita is the passion project of Tom and Belinda Lithgow, the founders of Firelight Safaris (Tom was born into a Tanzanian safari family), and their personal commitment to the property can be seen in everything from the design details to the excursions that can be arranged. “Belinda and Tom traveled the world to bring back the best furnishings from Turkey, India and South Africa for the interiors of the rooms,” says co-director and prominent venture capitalist Tim Draper who recently spent his 50th birthday on Lupita “One of my favorite afternoon pleasures was sitting in our plunge pool outside of our room taking in the gorgeous views.” (Read Draper’s postcard rave about his stay.) Villas are large (the smallest clocks in at 1,800 square feet), elegantly appointed and make the most of the lofty views with open floor plans and lots of outdoor spaces. Each accommodation also features a personal plunge pool.
Guests are temped to leave the comfort of their lofty abodes with myriad activities, including kayaking, sailing, boating, fishing, snorkeling, bicycling and walks with a local botanist. At an additional price, excursions like private safaris and helicopter tours can also be arranged. Private, serene and off-the-beaten-path, Lupita Island offers an indulgent conclusion to a Tanzanian safari.
Getting There: Visitors fly into Arusha (the easiest connecting airport for international travelers is Kilimanjaro International Airport), then continue on a ninety-minute flight to Lupita’s airstrip. From there, it’s a seven-minute boat ride across Lake Tanganyika to arrive at the resort.
Seasons & Rates: High season runs from December 20 through February 28, and June 1 through October 15. Rates from $863 per person sharing; $1,100 single; $518 per child (under 16) for cottages; $2,600 per room, children included, for family cottages.
Read Indagare’s destination report on Tanzania
Read about the country’s best safari lodges
Read Melissa’s packing tips for a safrai vacation
Read thoughts on whether to bring the kids to East Africa
Search By Keyword
By South American standards, Ecuador—which is about the size of...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.