Passion Points: Spa/Wellness
For some, the path to rejuvenation starts by being cleansed from the inside out. That was the case with New Yorker Diana Buxton, who recently booked a sojourn at We Care Spa, a juice fasting and spiritual retreat in Desert Hot Springs, California. “We all have so many excess toxins in our bodies,” she says. “A fast is a simple way to flush out all your organs.” For ten days, Buxton consumed only liquids (vegetable juice, lemon water, herbal tea) and nutritional supplements. Her daily yoga, walks, meditation, colonics and spa treatments gave her plenty of time for relaxation and introspection. “By the time I left, I was a new person,” she says. “I felt fantastic. Now that I’m back, I’m more alert. My skin feels great, my eyes are clear.” A favorite with Hollywood celebrities, the spa is low-key, intimate and rustic, with simply furnished thatched-roofed cottages, pretty landscaping and a small pool. Like the Ashram, it’s the staff that keeps the guests coming back. “They are simply amazing,” says Buxton, who is returning this Thanksgiving with her husband. From $1,790 a week.
Read our review of Mii Amo.
Read about the new California spa: Cavallo Point.
Search By Keyword
A designated Unesco World Heritage site, Laos' former royal capital...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.