Passion Points: Spa/Wellness
Rancho La Puerta is just one hour from San Diego but feels a million miles away from city bustle. Set in 3,000 acres between the sea and the desert, the resort has been a favorite spa destination since it opened in 1940. Founded, owned and run by the Szekely family, the resort emphasizes back-to-nature living, whether you’re hiking in the valleys beneath Mount Kuchumao, practicing yoga in the beautifully landscaped gardens or eating meals from the ranch’s own organic farm, Rancho Tres Estrellas.
For most guests however, a highlight is time spent in the spa, which boasts three health and beauty centers, including a skin care boutique. All have outdoor showers, saunas, steam room and hot tub and offer package deals, including an unlimited spa ‘passport’ which allows you as many treatments as you can pack into your stay. Guests can also take advantage of the complimentary skin care analysis and consultation.
Accommodation is in a series of ‘casitas’, which range in size from 470 square feet (ideal for couples) to a home away from home 1,140 square-feet villa. No two are exactly alike but all feature colorful Mexican folk art, fireplaces and no televisions. Meals are served in the grand Spanish dining room in the heart of the farm, with an ever changing, seasonal menu that always includes a seafood dish and vegetarian option. The all-natural diet is so popular with guests the resort now offers cooking classes (demonstration or hands on practice) and have published a book ‘Cooking with the Seasons’ (Stewart, Taboori & Chang, $35). Stays are for a week-long program, no exception. Proof of how good the program is: the incredibly high rate of repeat guests, who return faithfully every year. You’ll find groups of women who met here and reunite for the same week dozens of years on. From $2795 per person per week.
Read about Indagare’s favorite spa getaways
Read ten tips on how to choose the spa that’s right for you
Search By Keyword
Lech is ideal for young families: safe and picturesque, with...
Thailand’s third-largest island (roughly the size of Martha’s Vineyard) has...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.