South Africa: Introduction: Overview
Roughly three times the size of California, South Africa looms, in many ways, larger than life. Its landscapes, from rugged coastline to dense bush, are breathtaking, with ten percent of Earth’s known plant species found here; its culture is made up of multiple ethnicities (eleven official languages are recognized by the constitution); its recent history is devastating, with the effects of apartheid still looming large.
South Africa tops many travel lists, in part because of the luxury lodges and incredible variety one trip can entail (from vibrant Cape Town and the romantic Winelands to wilderness safaris and Indian Ocean adventures). But there’s something deeper that takes hold of a traveler to this place.
DESTINATION REPORTS & REVIEWS:
INTERVIEW & POSTCARDS:
- Read a Q&A with contemporary artist Paul du Toit
- Read a Q&A with Diana Hornby, the director of a foundation that combats poverty in South Africa
- Read an interview with author Mital Shah, whose book Well Souled South Africa examines the country’s style and fashion
- Read what Books to Get before planning a trip
- Read a member postcard about making a difference in South Africa
- Read a member postcard about a rhino darting trip at Phinda Private Game Reserve
- Read a member postcard about a trip to Kurland, along the Garden Route