Tunisia is a country of contrasts—and surprises—whose mélange of influences and cultures is immediately intoxicating. Its stunning landscapes range from southern desert expanses to verdant farmland up north, and the experiences are just as varied: archaeological sites, postcard-perfect seaside villages and a buzzing contemporary scene in Tunis—juxtaposed with one of the world’s oldest Medinas. In short, Tunisia is perfect for travelers interested in history, culture and getting off the beaten path.
The health and safety of our travelers is our number-one priority. We are committed to upholding the highest safety standards, while providing world-class hospitality and a seamless travel experience. We are in close contact with all of our partners to ensure that they are committed to the health and comfort of our travelers by practicing enhanced sanitization and disinfecting procedures, respecting social distancing guidelines, and remaining as contactless as possible. For more information and questions about specific protocols that have been put into place to make your trip as safe as possible, please reach out to our team at email@example.com.
What to Expect
Highlights of this itinerary include:
- Unparalleled Archaeological Sites: Visiting the archaeological sites of Carthage (in a suburb of Tunis) and Dougga (a two-hour scenic road-trip outside the city) is a master class of Phoenician and Roman treasures. History virtually comes alive before your eyes, particularly at Dougga, home such showstoppers as an imposing Capitole, a theater that once seated 3,500 spectators, baths, private residences and temples.
- Artisan Wares of the Medina: Tunis’ medina is one of the oldest in this part of the world, with craftsmen producing everything from colorful ceramics to shashiyya, the traditional felt hat still worn by the older gentlemen who line the cafes sipping mint tea and watching the Medina’s life stream by. One particular antiques shop is a veritable Ali Baba’s treasure cave.
- History of Mosaics: Tour the Bardo Museum with an expert guide – with unmatched mosaics from villas, temples and monuments across Tunisia. The artisanship and sheer size of the pieces are overwhelming and moving.
- Sahara Exploration: Explore the Sahara so memorably described by Michael Ondaatje in The English Patient: “The desert could not be claimed or owned—it was a piece of cloth carried by winds…” The photo opportunities are incredible—and movie buffs will also delight in discovering the set of Star Wars (Mos Espa, George Luca’s imagined spaceport settlement on the planet of Tatooine) tucked at the bottom of a massive dune.
- Add on a bespoke post-trip extension designed by Indagare’s expert team to dive further into Tunis, the surrounding countryside and seaside, Paris or beyond.
Please note that elements of the itinerary may change.
Contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about customizing this trip for your small group or private experience, over dates of your choosing.
Length8 days / 7 nights
Type of TravelerArt Lovers , Foodies , Intellectuals , Trailblazers