The white-walled city of Tangier, Morocco—known as the “Door of Africa,” as it sits on the tip of the continent, facing Europe across the Strait of Gibraltar—has long been cloaked in romance and mystery. In the 20th century, it attracted artists and writers like Paul Bowles and Bob Dylan, as well as spies, gamblers and royals. Today, its greatest charms are hidden behind closed doors, in private preserves belonging to its longtime residents and newer habitués, who have created special retreats that flourish within this magical Mediterranean subtropical climate. Their houses and gardens mix Moroccan craftsmanship, European colonial influences and elements of the sea to create a unique Tangerine style. With Indagare Founder Melissa Biggs Bradley, join the first-ever Insider Journey to this ancient port town and explore its environs in the company of some of its most interesting and innovative inhabitants.
The health and safety of our travelers is our number-one priority. We are committed to upholding the highest safety standards, while providing world-class hospitality and a seamless travel experience. We are in close contact with all of our partners to ensure that they are committed to the health and comfort of our travelers by practicing enhanced disinfecting procedures, respecting social distancing and testing guidelines, and remaining as low-contact as possible. For more information and questions about specific protocols that have been put into place to make your trip as safe as possible, as well as entry/exit requirements for Morocco, please reach out to our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can’t make these dates? Don’t miss our October trip to Marrakech with the Institute of Classical Architecture and Art.
What to Expect
Itinerary highlights include:
- Spend time with legendary Italian horticulturist and writer Umberto Pasti in his villa, which contains an extensive collection of North African textiles and objects, as well as at his celebrated garden Rohuna, located in the countryside outside the city. With one of the greatest collections of botanical species in Africa, Rohuna has been recognized as a masterpiece of sustainable horticulture.
- Meet interior designer Frank de Biasi for dinner in the gorgeous riad he restored in the medina, which has been featured in international design publications.
- Visit the beautifully restored Dar Ouezzane of famed British antiques dealer and host of the BBC’s The Extraordinary Collector Gordon Watson, who will invite you for a memorable meal in his treasure-filled retreat in the “palace district.”
- Connect with fellow travelers who share your interests and passions over lunches and dinners at some of the greatest estates on Tangier’s Old Mountain, including the homes of designer Veere Greeney and the late Christopher Gibbs.
- Tour the American Legation, the oldest continuously operated diplomatic property and only national historic landmark outside of the U.S.—with interiors that mix American colonial touches with Moroccan crafts.
- Enjoy special guided shopping experiences at Tangier’s top boutiques, which showcase contemporary Moroccan fashions and housewares, as well as in favorite galleries in the souk to discover antique textiles, carpets, ceramics and jewelry.
- Worry less, experience more: Indagare’s expert Insider Journeys team will help you navigate a safe and rewarding travel experience—and help plan custom trip extensions to Marrakech, the Atlas Mountains, Dar Ahlam or beyond. Plus: you’ll be guided through the new travel landscape by our founder Melissa Biggs Bradley and our most trusted local partners, and you’ll have complimentary 24/7 access to the emergency medical, security and evacuation services of Global Rescue, while on the ground.
WhenOctober 4 - 9, 2021
Length6 days / 5 nights
Type of TravelerStyle Mavens , Art Lovers , Adventurers