Although most travelers are drawn to Rwanda to see the endangered mountain gorillas—a wildlife experience that is truly unlike any other—it is the resilient spirit of the Rwandan people, their rich culture and the beauty of the country’s diverse landscapes, ideal for hiking and safari, that leave travelers with a sense of awe and a vow to return. In the words of Indagare founder Melissa Biggs Bradley: “Go see for yourself how a country can rebuild after a massacre; you cannot help but feel hope for humanity.”
A spot on this trip may be secured with a non-refundable deposit of $4,500, per person, with the remaining balance to be paid in full by March 31, 2020.
What to Expect
Inspired by our most popular Insider Journeys itineraries, Indagare Departures combine the best of Indagare’s destination expertise and special access—while allowing for flexibility and customization—to offer you an effortless and rewarding way to explore the world. Every Indagare Departure is curated to offer maximum immersion in our destinations, allowing you to discover once-in-a-lifetime experiences with likeminded travelers. Itinerary highlights include:
- Trek to find endangered mountain gorillas, chimpanzees and other primates in the magnificent forests of Volcanoes National Park, where you will be able to spend time up-close with these breathtaking animals.
- Experience thrilling safaris by boat, on foot and in open-air vehicles with expert guides in Akagera National Park, a protective home for lions, leopards, elephants, zebras, buffalo, hippos and many other incredible creatures.
- Meet with conservation specialists, researchers and innovators, who will share insight on Rwanda’s unique wildlife populations and modern environmental initiatives promoting anti-poaching and reforestation, as well as economic growth.
- Spend time touring in the growing urban center of Kigali, with visits to the Genocide Memorial Center and Imigongo Art Center, and meet with locals to learn about the cultural traditions and complex history of this inspiring country, which has rebuilt itself over the past decade.
- Relax at three beautiful eco-luxury lodges that offer a variety of immersive wilderness and cultural activities—including traditional game drives, guided nature walks, boating excursions, fishing, birding and more—as well as pampering amenities: The Retreat at Heaven (1), Magashi Camp (3 nights) and Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge (3 nights).
WhenNovember 2 – 9, 2020
Length8 days / 7 nights
Type of TravelerAdventurers , Trailblazers , Soul Searchers