Although most travelers are drawn to Rwanda to see the endangered mountain gorillas— a wildlife experience that is truly unlike any other—it is the resilient spirit of the Rwandan people, their rich culture and the beauty of the country’s diverse landscapes, ideal for hiking and safari, that leave travelers with a sense of awe and a desire to return. In the words of Indagare founder Melissa Biggs Bradley: “Go see for yourself how a country can rebuild after a massacre; you cannot help but feel hope for humanity.” Don’t miss the chance to experience the country’s highlights and to trek to see the mountain gorillas at a time when the forests feel virtually tourist-free—a truly once-in-a-lifetime wildlife experience.
The health and safety of our travelers is our number-one priority. We are committed to upholding the highest safety standards, while providing world-class hospitality and a seamless travel experience. We are in close contact with all of our partners to ensure that they are committed to the health and comfort of our travelers by practicing enhanced sanitization and disinfecting procedures, respecting social distancing guidelines, and remaining as contactless as possible. For more information and questions about specific protocols that have been put into place to make your trip as safe as possible, please reach out to our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to Expect
Anytime Trips combine the best of Indagare’s destination expertise and global network, while providing for flexibility and customization. Every itinerary is curated to offer maximum immersion in our destinations, allowing you to discover once-in-a-lifetime experiences with local guides. Highlights of this package include:
- Trek to find endangered mountain gorillas in the magnificent forests of Volcanoes National Park, where you will be able to spend time up-close with these breathtaking animals in a moment of unprecedented privacy, thanks to the new protective measures that have been put in place by the Rwandan government in response to the outbreak of COVID-19.
- Join expert guides and conservation specialists to search for other primates like the golden monkey, the colobus monkey and the chimpanzee on additional trekking excursions.
- Relax at beautiful eco-luxury lodges that offer a variety of immersive wilderness and cultural activities, as well as pampering amenities.
- Spend time in the growing urban center of Kigali, where it is possible to add visits to the Nyamata Genocide Memorial Center, top galleries, artist collectives and boutiques, women’s collectives and leading nonprofits, to learn about the cultural traditions and complex history of this inspiring country, which has rebuilt itself over the past decade.
- Travel with Purpose: By supporting these lodges and local tourism, you contribute to the protection of Rwanda’s unique wildlife populations and modern environmental initiatives—such as anti-poaching and reforestation—as well as community development and economic growth.
- Consult with Indagare’s expert team to navigate a safe travel experience—and to plan a pre- or post-trip extension like safari in Rwanda’s Akagera Park (to look for Big Five animals like lions, zebras and elephants), or else in Tanzania, Kenya or beyond.
- Duration: Nine nights over custom dates (subject to availability)
- Featured Hotels: The Retreat by Heaven, One&Only Gorilla’s Nest and One&Only Nyungwe
- Inclusions: Permits and guides for two days of gorilla-trekking • Permits and guides for one day of chimpanzee-trekking • Three nights’ accommodations at The Retreat at Heaven in Kigali • Three nights’ accommodations at the One&Only Nyungwe House luxury lodge in the Nyungwe Forest Reserve • Three nights’ accommodations at the brand-new One&Only Gorilla’s Nest luxury lodge in Virunga National Park • Transfer from The Retreat to Nyungwe House • Private helicopter transfer from Nyungwe House to Gorilla’s Nest • Round-trip airport transfers and airport assistance upon arrival • Emergency evacuation insurance • Porter fees in Kigali
Ready to learn more? Explore our Destination Guide to Rwanda.
Length10 days / 9 nights
Type of TravelerAdventurers , Trailblazers , Soul Searchers