Discover this up-and-coming destination with textile designer and Asia aficionado John Robshaw, who will open doors to private homes and artisan workshops for an immersive look at Uzbekistan’s crafts and history.
Book now — there are only a few spots left!
What to Expect
Once the intersection for Asian, Persian and Mediterranean civilizations along the Silk Road, and later a republic of the Soviet Union, Uzbekistan has stepped back onto the world’s stage thanks to its wealth of cultural offerings— from glittering mosaics, vibrant silks and handcrafted ceramics to sacred Islamic sites and royal monuments.
- Explore the riches of Uzbekistan—a safe, cosmopolitan and welcoming country that remains virtually untouched by tourists— through the unique perspective and connections of your host, textile designer John Robshaw.
- Journey to the crossroads of the world: the ancient heart of the Silk Road, where the warmth of the Mediterranean meets the beauty of Islamic, Russian and East Asian cultures.
- Access incredible shopping experiences, with behind-the-scenes meetings with artisans and designers in their studios and visits to crafts centers, for such local treasures as paintings, ceramics, mosaics and textiles, including brightly-colored ikats, silks and embroidery.
- Enjoy expert-guided historical and religious touring in Tashkent, Bukhara and Samarkand, where you will learn about the many rulers and civilizations that have shaped Uzbekistan into what it is today (including Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, the Muslim and Mongolian empires and the Soviet Union).
- Explore Uzbekistan’s great mosques, tiled mausoleums and imposing fortresses on architecture tours, as well as other monuments ranging in style from the medieval to the Baroque and the Brutalist.
- Be hosted in the private homes of Uzbekistan’s most influential residents for cocktails and genuine cultural exchanges.
WhenSeptember 30 – October 6, 2019
Length7 days / 6 nights
Type of TravelerArt Lovers , Style Mavens , Trailblazers , Intellectuals