Steeped in a reverence for tradition and appreciation for detail, Japan is also one of the most pioneering and dynamic countries in the world, seamlessly fusing the historic with the futuristic. The offerings for a culturally curious traveler are astounding, from the crafts, fashion and food scenes to the amazing history, religion and architecture (Japan has more buildings by Pritzker Prize award–winning architects than any other country in the world). This itinerary offers an insider’s view of this complex and layered destination, with ample time to experience the highlights of Tokyo and Kyoto.
What to Expect
This packaged itinerary combines the best of Indagare’s destination expertise and insider intel. Itinerary highlights include:
- Immerse yourself in the beauty of Japanese culture with visits to historic temples, zen meditation sessions, a visit to a tea house and a geisha performance.
- Explore Tokyo with a guided market tour and “only in Japan” shopping tour.
- See the highlights of Kyoto, including the Kawai Kanjiro Museum and the thousands of orange gates at the Fushimi Inari Shrine.
- Taste local delicacies and learn about the art of Japanese cuisine, both past and present, with omakase and kaiseki meals, as well as reservations at Tokyo and Kyoto’s top restaurants and stops for noodles and sushi at beloved local spots.
- Visit the Saihoji Moss Garden in Kyoto, to which access is usually limited.
- Spend a day in Hakone to visit the Enoura Obervatory, wander the famous open-air sculpture park and the Hakone art museum, and get a taste of ryokan life with a night at the Indagare-adored Gora Kadan.
- Explore the district of Arashiyama, where you will take a rickshaw ride through bamboo forests and a boat ride that offers impressive views of the mountains.
- Explore charming neighborhoods in Tokyo and Kyoto and discover their hidden gems, including temples, galleries, up-and-coming studios and artisan workshops for ceramics, silks, paper and other crafts.
- Go shopping with a stylist who will outfit you with your very own kimono.
- Expand your journey with a custom, Indagare-planned itinerary to other areas of Japan including Naoshima, Kanazawa or Hiroshima; Fiji; Hawaii; or beyond.
WhenOctober 20-27, 2020
Length8 days / 7 nights
Type of TravelerArt Lovers , Foodies , Style Mavens