The historic Golden Triangle region is tucked away in the north of the country, where Thailand, Laos and Myanmar meet around a slice of the Mekong River. With lush bamboo jungles, bustling markets and mountain views, the area feels wonderfully remote and untouched.
- Sleep…at the Four Seasons Tented Camp in a deluxe canvas tent filled with explorer-themed antiques
- Eat…Burmese-influenced cuisine such as khao soi, a coconut curry soup
- Experience…a water fight between elephants after trekking through jungle canopies
- Savor…views of the Mekong River with sundowners at the Four Seasons’ Burma Bar
- Cruise…past Myanmar and Laos in a traditional long-tail boat
- Learn…about the elephants’ sleeping and dining habits
- Know…that as an Indagare member you can contact our Bookings Team for customized recommendations and itineraries
Lay of the Land
Chiang Rai is a part of the so-called Golden Triangle, the area surrounding the meeting point of Laos, Myanmar and Thailand, and located an 80-minute flight from Bangkok. From Chiang Mai, it is a four-hour drive or 30-minute flight.
Though not as popular a tourist destination as Chiang Mai, the Golden Triangle offers a bounty of activities for nature and animal lovers, and boasts the Four Seasons Tented Camp, which is reason enough to visit the region. This safari-style hotel, with tented accommodations surrounded by jungle, is located an hour-and-a-half drive from the city center.