For years, the surreal landscapes and authentic experiences of Bolivia were reserved for adventurous backpackers willing to forego creature comforts. Luxury hotel openings, the creation of world-class restaurants and increased political stability have brought Bolivia to the verge of wider discovery—and it is pulsing with artistic energy. You can experience the lunar-like expanses of the Salar de Uyuni salt flats while staying at an eco-luxury lodge, trek to see colorful lagoons where flocks of flamingos gather and explore tremendous archaeological sites; plus, get an insider’s look at the food, design and craft scenes of artsy La Paz in the company of artist-gallerist father-son duo Gastón and Mariano Ugalde.
What to Expect
Itinerary highlights include:
- Discover some of the earth’s most dramatic, otherworldly landscapes—the largest salt flat in the world (Salar de Uyuni), rainbow-colored lagoons teeming with flamingos, hot springs, stark mountains dotted with volcanoes and fields of giant cacti. Along the way, tap into your adventurous side with guided hikes, drives, sundowners, live art installations and more.
- Meet with Bolivia’s most famous artist, Gastón Ugalde, who is known as the Andy Warhol–meets–Christo of Latin America, as well as his son, Mariano, an acclaimed gallerist and travel connoisseur.
- Explore tremendous archaeological sites and immerse yourself in Bolivian culture with such activities as a private blessing ceremony and more.
- Get an insider’s look at the rising food and art scenes of La Paz with guided tours of the leading art galleries and museums, a coffee tasting, the infamous Witches’ Market and much more; plus: dine at the city’s leading restaurants, including Ali Pacha and Gustu (from Danish chef Claus Meyer, the founder of Noma in Copenhagen).
- Experience an up-and-coming destination before it reaches mainstream popularity. In the words of Indagare Founder Melissa Biggs Bradley, who scouted Bolivia in 2017: “When one of the world’s most sought-after chefs, Noma co-founder Claus Meyer from Copenhagen, and gallery owners from Miami, hone in on the same place, you can be sure that the destination is worth investigating. A friend recently described La Paz, the cultural capital of Bolivia, as similar to Berlin or Brooklyn when the cities were just being discovered by creatives.”
- Travel seamlessly through Bolivia with private charter flights and expert guides and drivers.
- Connect with fellow travelers who share your interests and passions over outdoor adventures and group meals.
- Worry less, experience more: Indagare’s expert team will help you navigate a safe and rewarding travel experience—and help plan custom trip extensions within Bolivia or beyond. Plus: you’ll have complimentary 24/7 access to the emergency medical, security and evacuation services of Global Rescue on the ground.
Please note that elements of the itinerary may change.
Contact our team at email@example.com to inquire about customizing this trip for your small group or private experience, over dates of your choosing.
The health and safety of our travelers is our No. 1 priority. We are committed to upholding the highest safety standards, while providing world-class hospitality and a seamless travel experience. For any questions, please reach out to our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Length8 days / 7 nights
Type of TravelerArt Lovers , Adventurers , Foodies