Berlin is one of Europe’s most vibrant and bold centers of contemporary culture—and its ever-present reminders of the past, such as the mural-clad Berlin Wall, drive the city’s creatives to envision a more beautiful future. Led by actor-turned-archaeologist and expert historian guide Jamie Sewell, this trip will return to the beginning—starting with Berlin’s founding in the 13th century, through the Imperial period, the Third Reich and the Cold War—to pull back the curtain on the complex origins of this beguiling capital, with tours that will enlighten even the most seasoned history and architecture buffs.
What to Expect
Hear more about this trip from Indagare founder Melissa Biggs Bradley below:
Itinerary highlights include:
- Learn about the history of Berlin on a deeper level through intimate, private tours with local scholar and archaeologist Jamie Sewell. You’ll trace the growth of the city from its ancient and medieval roots, through the Imperial era and the Third Reich, to the end of the Cold War, as Jamie Sewell provides unique context at such sites as the Brandenburg Gate, the Holocaust Memorial and the Berlin Wall.
- Explore the rich legacy of Western European art—and its ancient predecessors— with private tours at the the Neue Nationalgalerie and Museum Island, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Enjoy a unique day trip to Potsdam, which was the seat of the Prussian royal family for centuries and is home to over 20 spectacular palaces, as well as gardens. It was also the site of the fated conference that was held between Stalin, Churchill and Truman at the conclusion of World War II.
- Relax at the Hotel de Rome, the most luxurious property in the city, which is conveniently located in Berlin’s historic heart. Plus: Enjoy time on your own to explore the contemporary side of Berlin, with the chance to dine at top restaurants and shop in the most fashionable boutiques.
- Connect with your host and fellow travelers—and gain a deeper understanding of the itinerary—before the trip with complimentary enrollment in Jamie’s new Indagare History Club: History’s Darkest Days – Berlin and the Third Reich (four virtual sessions, $650 value). In an exploration of Adolf Hitler’s rise and fall between 1933 and 1945, this series includes lectures, live stream touring and more.
- Worry less, experience more: Indagare’s expert Insider Journeys team will help you navigate a safe and rewarding travel experience—and help plan custom trip extensions. Plus: You’ll have complimentary 24/7 access to the emergency medical, security and evacuation services of Global Rescue, while on the ground.
Please note that elements of the itinerary may change.
The health and safety of our travelers is our No. 1 priority. We are committed to upholding the highest safety standards, while providing world-class hospitality and a seamless travel experience. For more information and questions, please reach out to our team at email@example.com.
WhenSeptember 29 - October 4, 2022
Length6 days / 5 nights
Type of TravelerIntellectuals , Art Lovers , Soul Searchers