Every summer, Capri lures travelers seeking la dolce vita. With its Tyrrhenian blue waters, fabulous beach clubs and delicious seafood, the island is full of much-lauded hotels—which can make choosing the right property tricky. Here, we help you choose the best retreat.
For the Design Lover: JK Place Capri
- Best For: Couples and families with older children who appreciate a quiet scene and elegant, contemporary décor
- Vibe: Chic, refined, private
- Location: Just a five-minute drive from town, the hotel offers shuttle service to Capri 24 hours a day. Alternatively, those inclined can walk 20 minutes down the road.
- Where to Eat: The hotel’s JK Kitchen boasts excellent seafood and a gorgeous terrace—a must for anyone visiting the island.
- Keep in Mind: Travelers who plan to do a lot of shopping may find J.K. Place too removed from the bustle of town and should opt for La Scalinatella.
- Favorite Activities: A treatment at JK’s signature spa, which features Sisley products
For the Traditionalist: La Scalinatella
- Best For: Couples and groups in search of a classic, family-run atmosphere (similar to its sister property, Quisisana, which is more family-friendly)
- Vibe: Old-world Italian villa, serene
- Location: On Capri’s prettiest street, which offers great views of the ocean
- Where to Eat: La Fontelina is a 15-minute walk from the hotel (alternatively, the concierge can organize a private shuttle).
- Keep in Mind: The hotel can feel clubby and exclusive, especially to first-time visitors. So bring along a group of friends and get adjacent rooms.
- Favorite Activities: Shopping at Capri’s numerous boutiques, nearby the property
Related: Capri 101
The Art Aficionado: Capri Palace Hotel and Spa
- Best For: Art lovers seeking a hideaway
- Vibe: Contemporary, sophisticated, upscale
- Location: The hotel is a 10-minute drive from the peaceful village of Anacapri.
- Where to Eat: On property, L’Olivo restaurant boasts two Michelin stars (the only of this distinction on the island).
- Keep in Mind: The décor is quite modern, so those looking for classic Italian feel may be better suited to La Scalinatella.
- Favorite Activities: Wandering the tiny side streets of Anacapri, filled with specialty shops that sell gorgeous handmade goods
Related: Dispatch from Capri
The Scene Stealer: Capri Tiberio Palace
- Best For: Couples and families who prefer a lively atmosphere and whimsical interiors
- Vibe: Stylish, buzzy, playful
- Location: In the heart of Capri town, a short walk from some of the island’s best restaurants and boutiques
- Where to Eat: Aurora, a favorite on Capri for romantic dinners, is just a stone’s throw from the hotel.
- Keep in Mind: The property is accessed via a narrow, winding road, which can be inconvenient for those with mobility issues (and may be more comfortable at JK Place).
- Favorite Activities: A sunset cocktail at Jacky Bar, which offers a chic atmosphere and gorgeous views
Read More: Top Tables Capri