The cradle and muse of mythical masters of art, architecture and culture (Dante, Da Vinci, Botticelli, Michelangelo—to name a few), Florence reverberates with a beauty and depth of feeling that is centuries-deep, and beyond compare. Often referred to as a “living museum,” the City of Lilies enchants visitors with its timelessness: Frescoed Medici palazzos and glittering Gucci storefronts share the same ancient Roman streets, which are dotted by family-owned workshops as well as contemporary artworks. On this journey, led by expert art historian and local Elaine Ruffolo, travelers will study these many features of Florence’s noble beauty, with unparalleled private access to iconic monuments like the Duomo Cathedral and the Uffizi, invitations into magnificent private homes and estates, exploration in the trendy Oltrarno and a day trip to nearby UNESCO World Heritage site Siena. And with plenty of time for savoring culinary and viticultural pursuits, this is a journey that the aesthete and epicure should not miss.
The health and safety of our travelers is our No. 1 priority. We are committed to upholding the highest safety standards, while providing world-class hospitality and a seamless travel experience. For more information and questions about specific protocols that have been put into place to make your trip as safe as possible, as well as entry/exit requirements for Italy, please reach out to our team at email@example.com.
What to Expect
Itinerary highlights include:
- Immerse yourself in the art, history and architecture of Florence and Siena on private, expert-guided tours with Elaine Ruffolo. Explorations will focus on the creativity of the Renaissance and the rule of the Medici, from Cosimo to Lorenzo Il Magnifico.
- Enjoy exclusive, privileged access to Florence’s top monuments, including the off-limits top floor of the Orsanmichele gallery, the world-famous Uffizi Museum after-hours (where you can find works by Botticelli, Caravaggio and many others) and the staggering Duomo, with special entrance to the cathedral’s terraces for unforgettable views.
- Explore the wonderfully renovated Opera del Duomo Museum with its director, who will provide behind-the-scenes insight into the fascinating collection.
- With special permission, go underneath the tombs of the Medici Chapel in the Basilica di San Lorenzo to a secret underground chamber covered in charcoal wall drawings by Michelangelo, who lived there for a month in 1530 while hiding from the pope.
- Attend receptions at historic residences for a view into private life in Florence— including the Renaissance-era Palazzo Gondi, where the Count and Countess Gondi will welcome you, and the wine estate of Alessandra Bindi Sergardi, who will share the rich history of her family, going back to the 14th century.
- Visit the Castello di Nipozzano winery in Chianti for a tasting dinner, with other culinary experiences including a meal at the famed Antinori restaurant in Florence.
- Explore the backstreets of the artistic Oltrarno neighborhood, where many of Florence’s traditional artisans still live and work. Visit with these masters in their workshops and enjoy hands-on experiences of such traditional Florentine arts as gilding and silk weaving.
- Connect with your host and fellow travelers—and gain a deeper understanding of the itinerary—before the trip with complimentary enrollment in Elaine’s new Indagare Art Club: The Medici, Power and Patronage (four virtual sessions, $650 value).
- Worry less, experience more: Indagare’s expert Insider Journeys team will help you navigate a safe and rewarding travel experience—and help plan custom trip extensions. Plus: You’ll have complimentary 24/7 access to the emergency medical, security and evacuation services of Global Rescue, while on the ground.
Please note that elements of the itinerary may change.
Length7 days / 6 nights
Type of TravelerArt Lovers , Foodies , Intellectuals