There are conflicting theories about what drew Peter the Great to a patch of seemingly inhospitable swampland in the early 18th century, but what the legendary Emperor imagined—and what two equally stubborn and brilliant empresses carried forward—can still be experienced. There are those grand avenues that recall Paris, the pastel-colored mansions lining the Neva like spun sugar confections; the gilded palaces in town and country, the priceless treasures and art; the ballet. Walking through St. Petersburg, it is impossible not to be awed by how one man’s vision in 1703 could be powerful enough to survive centuries. Today, Peter’s “window to Europe” is stronger than ever—inviting you in to discover its secrets with the people who know them best.
What to Expect
- Explore a challenging destination with former Architectural Digest Design Editor Howard Christian and the founder and CEO of Indagare, Melissa Biggs Bradley.
- Enjoy after-hours access to Pavlovsk, the summer palace of the tsars.
- Tour the Stroganov Palace with the museum’s director.
- Tour St. Petersburg’s most ornate, iconic monuments–including the Winter Palace, Pushkin and St. Isaac’s Cathedral—with expert art, architecture and history guides.
- Enjoy VIP access to Catherine Palace and be invited into the historic Amber Room workshops.
- Visit the Hermitage Museum after-hours and have the chance to see the winding of the famous Peacock Clock—and access the private Hermitage storage chambers, which contain a treasure trove of items ranging from Imperial wardrobes, furniture and carriages to world-class works of art.
- Take a private tour of the new Fabergé Museum, which contains over 1,500 pieces, including the celebrated million-dollar Imperial Easter Eggs.
- View treasures of Russian design, including priceless porcelain and works of art by masters ranging from Matisse to Kandinsky.
- Be invited to a special reception at a private apartment that was featured in Architectural Digest Russia.
- Sample Eastern European cuisine at the best restaurants in St. Petersburg.
- Relax at the Hotel Astoria, a Rocco Forte property and one of St. Petersburg’s most stylish hotels.
- Add on a post-trip extension to Moscow, planned by the experts at Indagare.
WhenOctober 9 – 14, 2019
Length6 days / 5 nights
Type of TravelerAdventurers , Art Lovers , Intellectuals