The historic pastel city on the bayou is a place where the tropics meet the American South, where Creole meets Cajun, Haitian meets African, and the streets are infused with a refreshing energy and French joie de vivre. Like many cities that have experienced growth throughout centuries, New Orleans is composed of different neighborhoods that—though equally charming—reflect distinct architectural styles and moments in time. But with a strong classical European influence blending here with modern American innovation, New Orleans presents a fusion that is greater than the sum of its parts—making it a unique discovery for anyone interested in design.
What to Expect
For this special journey, we are thrilled to partner with the nonprofit membership organization The Institute of Classical Architecture & Art, to bring you access to private homes and collections that you won’t find anywhere else.
- Explore the architectural riches of New Orleans—which vary from the French Colonial and the Neoclassical to styles popular to the area (such as shotgun houses)—with architecture preservation expert John Stubbs.
- Tour historic private homes dating back to the 19th century, with special cocktail and dinner receptions with local insiders and architecture experts.
- Meet with artisans and designers in their studios and shop for antiques and other local treasures.
- Visit iconic New Orleans neighborhoods, including the Garden District, the French Quarter and the Ninth Ward, with art historians and curators.
- Experience New Orleans’ vibrant food and nightlife scenes with meals at top restaurants and the chance to visit jazz clubs.
- Tour the Historic New Orleans Collection with one of its former curators, including behind-the-scenes visits to the home of the collection’s founders and its brand-new French Quarter museum.
- Stay at the lovely Windsor Court Hotel.
WhenDecember 11 – 15, 2019
Length5 days / 4 nights
Type of TravelerArt Lovers , Intellectuals , Foodies