Napa Valley and Sonoma boast 1,500 wineries between them, providing world-class vintages that put American viticulture on the map. However, the soil lends itself not only to grapes, but also to a deeply rooted farming culture, also placing this destination in the center of the organic movement—and making it a must-visit for foodies and oenophiles alike.
On this unforgettable journey with WSJ. Magazine contributing editor Howie Kahn, you can taste your way through California wine country and cuisine with the first families of Napa Valley. Guests will experience unparalleled access to the area’s finest wineries with intimate tastings and tours led by internationally acclaimed winemakers and celebrated chefs—and enjoy meals at exceptional restaurants and stunning views along the way.
CONTACT OUR TEAM AT INSIDERJOURNEYS@INDAGARE.COM OR BOOK NOW TO RESERVE YOUR SPOT.
What to Expect
Some of the country’s most innovative cooking, cultivating and design can be found in Napa Valley. In the aftermath of the devastating recent wildfires, many feared the area would take years to come back. But if the newest projects from stalwarts of the winemaking scene are any indication, the region is stronger than ever.
Join WSJ. Magazine and Indagare Travel for the ultimate tour of Napa Valley’s finest and most innovative vineyards for guided vineyard tours and tastings of established superstars and up-and-coming labels—including the chance to taste new releases—as well as meetings and meals with the estates’ owners. This itinerary has been crafted specially for oenophiles and foodies by James Beard Award–winning writer Howie Kahn and Indagare’s expert team of travel planners. With our access, you will be invited for behind-the-scenes gatherings with the most influential winemakers, chefs and restaurateurs in the area.
Journey participants will have the chance to experience:
- An immersive day of wine exploration hosted by vintner H. William Harlan and his family, proprietors of Harlan Estate, Promontory, BOND and the Napa Valley Reserve.
- A special visit and dinner at Continuum Estate, which was founded in 2005 by the Mondavi family and holds 41 acres dedicated to planting. You will be hosted by Carissa Mondavi, a fourth-generation member of the Mondavi family.
- Special tours of Favia Wines, an up-and-coming, 6.5-acre producer that was founded by Annie Favia and Andy Erickson in 2003, and Cornell Vineyards, an innovative producer owned by Henry and Vanessa Cornell, set on 240 acres. Here, the Cornells’ groundbreaking female winemakers, Francoise Peschon and her protégé Elizabeth Tangney, have built a legacy of their own with a new artist-in-residence program and releases that are garnering critical acclaim.
- Meetings with the innovators who continue to shape one of America’s premier wine and culinary movements, with special presentations and discussions of such topics as sustainable winemaking, the continuing rise of female winemakers and designing a vineyard for the modern era.
- Diving into California food and wine culture with reservations at Napa Valley’s hottest venues, including The Restaurant at Meadowood, headed by three-Michelin-star chef Christopher Kostow—whom you will have the chance to meet during a tasting dinner.
- Luxury accommodations at Meadowood, a sprawling 250-acre estate in the Napa Hills, offering low-key aristocratic charm, a stunning spa and such activities as hiking, croquet, golf and tennis.
This Insider Journey is scheduled to take place as detailed here and we look forward to welcoming you for unforgettable experiences this fall. We have been closely monitoring global developments regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) and adjusting dates and itineraries as necessary, as the health and safety of our trip attendees, hosts and guides are our top priority. Email our team at email@example.com for updates, questions and information.
WhenOctober 15–18, 2020
Length4 days / 3 nights
Type of TravelerFoodies , Romantics , Ultimate Indulgers