Experience an insider’s tour of the 2019 Havana Biennial art exhibition, with expert-guided tours of Havana’s most interesting architectural and historical sites, as well as reservations at top restaurants and live music venues.
What to Expect
As Havana celebrates the 500th anniversary of its founding, there is no better time to explore where Cuba has been and where it is headed than now. Today this Caribbean island is uniquely poised between a long period of isolation and a steady influx of visitors. Once seemingly frozen in time, Havana’s cobblestoned streets, Baroque churches and colonial palaces are gradually being restored to their former glory, while the capital’s vibrant contemporary arts scene and rebellious spirit reveal themselves to be stronger than ever with street installations and live music venues on the rise.
This spring you can dive into this fascinating destination through the unique lens of the Havana Biennial, which is celebrating its 13th edition with exhibitions and events devoted to “La construcción de lo posible” (the construction of the possible). Featuring behind-the-scenes tours and events with influential artists and curators, this journey will showcase the city’s potential to be a top destination for culture lovers.
This packaged Indagare Departures itinerary combines the best of Indagare’s destination expertise, insider intel and special access—while allowing for flexibility and customization—to offer you an effortless and rewarding way to explore the world, starting with Cuba.
- Experience exclusive access to the events and exhibitions of the 13th Havana Biennial. One of the most outstanding art fairs in the Western Hemisphere, the Biennial provides an international stage for the art of underdeveloped countries.
- Attend cocktail receptions with Havana’s top contemporary artists and curators in their private homes and studios.
- Learn about the art, history and architecture of Havana—from the colonial to the modern—on tours with expert art historians, architects and curators.
- Taste authentic local cuisine in a cooking class and at the city’s best paladares (private restaurants created in contrast to government-sponsored “tourist” establishments), and learn about the local farm-to-table movement with a tour of an urban organic farm.
- See the former home of Ernest Hemingway, Finca La Vigía, on an expert-guided tour.
- Sample Havana’s vibrant nightlife scene with reservations at the hottest live music venues and clubs.
- If you wish, add on a two-night pre-trip extension to the itinerary for a cigar tour, a visit to the resort community of Tarará and a half-day yacht cruise.
- Cross previously forbidden borders to explore a fascinating country that simultaneously offers a sense of traveling back in time with the feeling of being on the cutting-edge of cultural exchange.
WhenApril 24 – 28 and May 1 – 5, 2019
Length5 days / 4 nights
Type of TravelerAdventurers , Art Lovers , Intellectuals